1563 - January 25th: seven citizens of Torino found the Compagnia di San Paolo in order to help the needy and to block the expansion of the Protestant Reformation.
1579 - The Compagnia reopens the city's Monte di Pietà, the city's pawnbroking institute, to rescue the weaker members of society from the scourge of usury.
1589 - The founding of the Casa del Soccorso, to host impoverished middle-class girls.
1595 - Establishment of the Ufficio Pio, dedicated to charitable activities.
1653 - The Monte di Pietà takes over the management of the Monte della Fede, the institution overseeing the Duchy of Savoy public debt.
1683 - The founding of the Casa del Deposito, for women who were willing to abandon their condition of "dishonesty."
Mid-18th century - The Compagnia is at the pinnacle of its expansion and works diligently in social services through its institutes.
1802 - During the French republican government, the Compagnia is suppressed and substituted by "charity committees." Nevertheless, several "San Paolo officers" continue to work in these committees, thus ensuring continuity of the Compagnia's ideals and practices.
1804 - The French reopen the Monte di Pietà, reorganising it along the guidelines of Paris' pawnbroking institute, which was more banking-oriented.
1814 - Following the Restoration, the Compagnia's functions are reintegrated and it also assumes the administration of health services for Turin's poor (until 1851).
1853 - Vittorio Emanuele II, the King of Sardinia- Piedmont, limits the Compagnia's duties to purely religious activities and entrusts the assets and the administration of the charitable and credit activities to a new public body, the Opere Pie di San Paolo di Torino.
1867 - The Compagnia sets up the Credito Fondiario, a mortgage credit institute.
1883 - The Casa del Soccorso and the Casa del Deposito, which had been merged and transformed into an educational institute, are renamed the Educatorio Duchessa Isabella.
1907 - San Paolo, with a large grant, participates in the constitution of the original capital of the Istituto Case Popolari, dedicated to creating subsidised housing for the poor.
1925-1935 - The Institute helps construct the Molinette hospital in Turin.
1931 - After absorbing the deposits of the Banca Agricola Italiana, the Istituto di San Paolo expands through Piedmont and Liguria.
1932 - The Government confers on the Istituto di San Paolo di Torino the statute of a public-law credit institute, dedicated to credit and charity.
1950 - The name is changed to Istituto Bancario San Paolo di Torino.
1950-1990 - The Istituto Bancario San Paolo expands in Italy and abroad.
1991 - With the regulations introduced by the "Amato-Carli" bill, the bank takes on the legal form of a joint-stock company and the Compagnia di San Paolo foundation is created.