For the first time, the archive that recounts the "history" of the Misericordia Archconfraternity is open to Italian and foreign citizens and scholars.
The archive of the Misericordia Archconfraternity was presented on 11 October.
Fifty linear metres of paper tell the story of the archconfraternity from its foundation in 1578 to the present day, intersecting with many other "stories" of civil and religious bodies, brotherhoods, death sentences, citizens, all of which paint an important picture of society, the institutions and the Church in Turin over five centuries of history.
The new rooms of the Archive in Via Barbaroux 41 were inaugurated in the presence of Alberto Tealdi (Misericordia Archconfraternity); Msgr. Cesare Nosiglia (Archbishop of Turin); Anna Maria Poggi (Compagnia di San Paolo); Luisa Papotti (Superintendence of Archeology, Fine Arts and Landscape); Elisabetta Oberti (Archivist); Valerio Gigliotti (Opera Misericordiae).
The spaces offer multi-purpose consultation rooms and services, so that researchers, historians, and any citizen can consult archive documents.
This initiative meant carrying out work in the church of the Archconfraternity necessary for the preservation and use of the historical archive, which has been continuous since 1578, and considered by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities "a crucial historical source for the social, cultural and devotional history of the city of Turin and Piedmont ”.
Misericordia Church is part of the Sacred Buildings project of Compagnia di San Paolo www.edificisacri.compagniadisanpaolo.it