Major Projects Torino Italia Mondo
Torino

La Rotonda dell’Accademia Albertina

Via dell'Accademia Albertina, 8, 10123 Torino
Share
Print
Send

The Rotonda is located in the inner courtyard of the the Accademia Albertina di Belle Arti complex, in turn placed on the east side of the island of San Francesco di Paola in the city’s old town. It is a circular building, originally two floors, built in the period 1828-30 to a design by Giuseppe Talucchi (1782-1863), taking account of the most innovative coeval theories of spatial distribution related to school buildings ("Panopticon "by Jeremy Bentham). The building consists of a circular central building and an outer ring, in which the school classrooms are located. The central room is the only one with a rich architectural decoration, with pilasters framing round arches. There is also a basement, lied out in a similar manner to the upper floor, in which the central compartment of circular layout is covered by a complex lunule-shaped arc.

The building had different uses throughout time until it was merged in 1979 with the Accademia Albertina.

It was in 2014 that a contribution by the Compagnia di San Paolo of € 3 million was approved in favor of its restoration; work, which should start in 2015, aims, among other things, to recover some elements of the building of particular architectural merit, such as the brickwork vaults in the basement and some decorative elements inside the halls and on the façade. The aim is to return a another part of Turin’s old town to full public use: in fact, at the end of the work, exhibitions will be set up in the basement of the Rotonda.

Intervention Area: Arte, attività e beni culturali

Contribution:

3.000.000 euro

Major Projects Torino Italia Mondo