Major Projects Torino Italia Mondo
Torino

Agliè Castle

Piazza Castello, 1, 10011 Agliè Torino
Share
Print
Send

The ducal Castello di Aglié (Aglié Castle) is an elegant and imposing building built in the medieval period by the comital family of San Martino from the Canavese area. In 1667 Count Filippo di San Martino, former adviser to Madama Reale Christine of France, commissioned the court architect Amedeo di Castellamonte to perform the first in a long series of modifications. In 1764, the San Martino family sold the property to the Savoy family who entrusted its redevelopment to the architect Ignazio Birago di Borgaro. In 1825 Carlo Felice of Savoy commissioned other interventions that did not compromise, however, the eighteenth-century form of the site. In 1839 the park was organized in Romantic design, while maintaining the internal eighteenth-century farm buildings. The purchase of the castle directly from the Royal Family by the State dates back to 1939; in the 1980s it was assigned to the Soprintendenza ai Beni Architettonici del Piemonte (Piedmont Architectural Heritage Department), and now to the Direzione Regionale. There are courtly apartments in the residence, characterized by an extraordinary decorative richness: gilded and inlaid wood, stucco, frescoes, tempera, decorations, wood-paneling and floors.

Since the mid-nineties of the last century there has been an ongoing program to redevelop the entire monumental complex, first in the form of minor maintenance and implementation of isolated  lots, then from 2006 - thanks to the important support of the Compagnia di San Paolo - via the restoration and realization of the setting up of the rooms on the piano nobile of the castle, of the area of the former administration (6th level) and the widening of the staircase in front of the entrance.

The participation was included in 2004 among the initiatives which are referred to in the Protocol of agreement that has allowed the Compagnia di San Paolo to adhere to the Framework Agreement since 2002 in the field of Heritage signed by the Ministry for Culture and Heritage and the Regione Piemonte, being related to a more complex redevelopment and enhancement program of the Savoy Residences tour, which represents one of the major attractions in Piedmont also for an  international lay audience.

The Compagnia di San Paolo has supported the Castle since 2002, with almost € 2.7 million for its recovery and enhancement, which has been realized thanks to the guided tours of the Associazione Volarte, making ​​its continuous use possible.

Intervention Area: Ricerca e sanità

Contribution:

2.700.000 euro

Major Projects Torino Italia Mondo