The Filatoio di Caraglio, the first silk factory put into operation in the area of Cuneo, was built in just two years, between 1676 and 1678, by Carlo Emanuele II; it was designed by Andrea di Castellamonte, thanks to an agreement between the Città di Torino and its entrepreneur Giovanni Gerolamo Galleani. Developed around three courtyards it displays cylindrical angular towers and decoration in stucco and earthenware tiles, which are quite exceptional in these buildings. Further evidence of the construction stage can be seen in the remains of the enclosure, with small round towers, and some fixtures. In 1679 a chapel was also built adjacent to the main façade of the spinning factory for the exclusive use of the workforce, which is one of the oldest examples of buildings for worship attached to the silk factories.
Since the inception of the restoration work in 2000, thanks to funding from the European Union, the Compagnia di San Paolo, the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Torino e di Cuneo, the rooms on the ground floor and the bulk of the first floor have been restored and opened to the public; three impressive seventeenth-century silk slubber models were reconstructed with historical accuracy and made operational, a great attraction for the public that during visits is thus introduced to the silk culture. In 2006, the room called the spinnery, the cocoon warehouse and an apartment decorated with good quality stucco and frescoes completed the restoration. In 2009, the recovery work of other important equipment stored there, the seventeenth-century chapel and north-east tower ended and in 2011 they started to work on the preparation of the museum.
The Filatoio Rosso di Caraglio is part of a major redevelopment project of the "Silk roads" that developed in the province of Cuneo, in which there is still some important evidence, gathered between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, of the spread of silk production and processing in Piedmont.
The Compagnia di San Paolo has supported the Spinning factory, both in enhancement and the different recovery sites, including the investigative archaeological excavation, for a total commitment of over € 1.5 million.