The Compagnia is committed to supporting research in its various articulations paying particular attention to reaching large scales. The aims are various and inter-related:
- the dynamic balance between the need to support projects and work groups in different disciplines, without being necessarily limited to a single university, and the possibility to support research communities and institutions in the territory of reference;
- focus on certain main thematic and sectorial areas;
- optimising the relationship between basic and applied, translational and application-driven research;
- connecting local programmes with the European research agenda;
- coordination between Academic Institutions, Instrumental Bodies of the Compagnia for research and extra-university research:
Promoting new management models in research institutions, creating opportunities for young scholars and raising the quality of didactics, especially in its higher segments, is also part of this.
The European reference is an essential part of these goals: the alignment with European standards makes it possible to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses, open up perspectives and obtain extra financing.